Thursday, August 27, 2009

What's in the works:::Joriji's Daughter

There is a road in Kigali (Rwanda) that I used to use often to and from school. Few roads in Rwanda at the time had names, so I don't know if this one had a name or I might have forgotten it. This particular one was no different from the other dozen or so roads and combination of roads that I could use, but it came to mind a few days ago as I sat contemplating what I could write about next. I figured I'd write about a man meeting the woman of his fantasies. I could put him on the road from somewhere...a market...with a load of something on his head...firewood?Sack of beans?...I settled on the sack of beans.
I don't know yet how long it's going to be, or what the specifics are, or how the ending is, but I'm on page 6 and I don't feel like I'm halfway done. This is my first attempt at prose, and I'm having lots of fun with it. It's flowing out of me in the rhythm of the works we were made to memorize in 3rd and 4th grade in Rwanda. Someday, I hope my works will be read by students, putting them to heart same way I did years ago.
Have you written prose before? What pointers could you give that would help me? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment