Thursday, August 27, 2009

Who Am I and What Am I currently working on?


My name is Eddie and I come from a small country in central Africa with a big, horrendous past. Rwanda is a place of indescribable beauty, where my heart still longs for after all these years outside. It has been 15 years since I crossed into the Democratic Republic of Congo (then Zaire) and left my beloved motherland behind. At the time, I did not look back, but I know I would go about doing it differently were I to be given another chance. I doubt my 11-year old mind even contemplated the possibility of spending so much time away from the only place it had known. that excitement of crossing into another country did not wear off until a decade later, when my heart, at last, began to long for the dusty roads my feet had trod in those bygone days.
I keep alive the memories by recounting my adventures to my friends and colleagues. I tell of the old mischievous doings, the thrashings I received for a milliard of offenses, and I tell of the stories of joy. Visiting my cousins (a welcomed reprieve from staying home as an only child), my first bike, learning to use a photo camera. I tell them all so I can remember. So I can relieve their thrills and terrors through the reactions they receive. I tell them because without them, I would not be the same person.
Now, I'm here blessed with experience of living in 6 countries and countless communities. I have been high and I have been low. I have laughed much and I have wailed much, but through it all I have had the guidance of a higher power, and, for that, I am grateful.
I currently have finished a full-length play "Where Flies Flock" and a 10-minute play "NoGood, NoWhere." I also have finished and am about to submit a couple of lyrics. As for what I'm working on, my biggest and proudest work is a play about my hero, Thomas Sankara. He is the assassinated president of Burkina Faso who worked to make Africa free and dignified. I am also working on a play about smuggling Africans from Africa to Europe, and a prose about a man falling in love on his way home from the market.
I will keep this up and we will stay in touch...please leave your mark, let me know you dropped by.
Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. This is good stuff cuz, keep it up -Edmond

    ReplyDelete
  2. waiting for what's coming next.
    Great job Edou!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proud of you babe. You'll go far. NR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vuyo was here! 2010

    ReplyDelete