Friday, January 22, 2010

Not Again...Catch Up with scenes from Sankara: My Brother, My Enemy

The past month has really been filled with blessings for me and I can't possibly show my gratitude. My computer is the only one functioning here, so I've had to write in my notebooks so that my mom and Nadia can use the computer, too. I have enough poems for my March collection, and I have completely revamped the Sankara play to a form that is both theatrical, poetical, and excitical...smile with me there, lol.
I also have to say it's 5 am here and I'm tired from a night of writing and poker, but before I leave, maybe I could post a speech from my Sankara: My Brother, My Enemy play...I hope you enjoy it.

President Mirrount
 Look around you and observe
the creeping tide threatening
to drown your home and family.
Stretch but your arm and grab
the line I offer in faith
of a future shared between
my household and yours.
Hear the thunder from the Southern shores
whose birth will soon overtake time.
Heed not the doubts of your mind
for the heart is easier to satisfy
than thoughts of unattainable dreams.
Come, hold my hand
and feel the warmth
of a pleasant future
with stores of indefatigable food
and nights of unquenchable rest.
These are but an iota of that which
awaits the silencing of the hopeless drum.

In this scene President Mirrount, the leader of the former colonial nation, is enticing Capitaine Copa - Sankara's second-in-command - with promises of safety and wealth to betray Sankara.
In the next scene, Copa has finally given in to the action, but his heart still pains him.

Copa
O that I would be a rock
unmovable by the coming storms.
Would I to become soaked
by the deluge threatening the horizon
and see my fields chocked by the waters
whose rage would have doomed my flocks?
How do you - or I- save a wretch like I?
I am now trembling at the still shadows;
cowardly seeking refuge from an enemy's chamber.
What is to be shall be
but from my forced will.
A shadow, but I am, to wither
and pass with the memory
of him to whom I was an imitation.
Goodbye, faithful brother;
farewell to the land of our fathers
whose toll was your sweat and tears,
which your blood now joins
in the holiest of sacred trinities.

In the end, Copa gives in and accepts to betray his friend and former comrade. Something is still gnawing within, however, and I am playing around a lot with this "guilt" in the play. Sankara might have been wrong when he told his wife that: "Fear not the whispering of mongrels for they have an owner to whom they whimper for an insult and morsels of discarded crumbs...We are the ones to be feared." I want to examine the thought that maybe "mongrels" should be feared and dealt with before they wreak havoc.
Anyways, I hope you are all doing well, and I promise to start updating regularly again.

No comments:

Post a Comment