Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Self-Discovery

On Sunday I decided to go see this multicultural festival going on in downtown Syracuse and get a chance to see this African dance group I am hoping to work with, when I received a notification on my blackberry that I had a message on facebook. I clicked on it and stood rooted on that crowded sidewalk with salsa music blaring from the nearby sound system while my mind tried to analyze and comprehend what my eyes were reading. The message read;
"Hi, Edouard! I am looking for my son - he was born Feb. 24, 1983 in Kishinev and left the USSR with his father in 1983. Your father's name is Samuel? He is from Rwanda?"
Could this be my mom???I have never known my mother since my father took me from the USSR when I was three months old. I never asked much regarding her and the little I knew was what I overheard here and there. However, last year I began to ask questions and learned a lot that I hoped would help me find her. I tried different venues and, even, a parent at a school I used to work at in Atlanta offered to help since he worked for CNN. So far, nothing worked out and so I was mulling taking my request to Oprah and hoping she'd help me find my mom.
Well, I responded to the e-mail and we began talking. We chatted and even talked online. I have learned so much by talking to her these past couple of days. Much that helps explain why I do the things I do. Much I have wanted to know for so long but never asked. 
So, now I'm happy. Happy to know my mother and that my grandchildren will know their grandmother. I'm happy to hear all the stories.
Although it took 26 years, there was no lack of trying on all sides. She had been contacting Rwandan embassies without response. My had had been trying to locate her without success. I, too, of course.
I will put more on this as it unveils and my head processes it better, but I want to thank the facebook people for being the bridge linking my mom and I. I also want to congratulate my friend Terrell who has been helping me and enjoying life in Ukraine for finding his father on facebook, too...Destiny, my friends, Destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment