Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Web Short Story Series::::Onondaga County's Own Peculiar Salamander's Conceited Tales

This story came to me soon after moving to New York. I purchased a biography of Mark Twain and, in it was a story about a newspaper series he had wrote called "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County." I thought the name An idea came to me to write a series of short stories with a central figure set in Upstate New York. I thought Onondaga wasn't a name you encountered in many places (same as Calaveras), and since there is a lot of water here, I figured a Salamander would substitute in well for the frog. I also decided to use the salamander to show how I view my experiences in this place, exaggerated of course.
The story is about a salamander who leaves his home in Georgia, where he had not been really accepted, and embarks on a journey that lands him in Onondaga County, New York. It will focus on his experiences in Georgia, on the road, and, finally, in Onondaga County. The majority of the stories will be about his experiences in O.C., with a few flashbacks here and there.
Anyways, without further ado, take a sit, adjust your glasses, sip on your beer (or wine), and enjoy the story. Let me know what you think.


Onondaga County’s Own Peculiar Salamander’s Conceited Tales of Adventure
This work has been removed and will appear in the first issue of EXILE CALLING coming out on October 5th, 2009. Subscribe today to continue enjoying new work.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting.
    waiting to hear part 2 and see if i can get to like the Salamander.... couldn't you have chosen another reptile?! lol or amphibian??
    so far i am not yet attached to him, will see in part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will explain about the salamander in an upcoming post...something to do with the area in New York.

    ReplyDelete