Monday, December 7, 2009

Sakabaka: What's in a name

Today, the third issue of Exile Calling has been released and, in addition to the other works included in there, there is the announcement that I have chosen "Sakabaka" as my nom de plume. Traditionally, we Rwandans have carried only one name, but the Belgian colonizers forced people to adapt "Christian" or "civilized" first names to be baptized. Our names, however, always had meaning.
My last name, MUTABAZI, was inherited from my father, who received it from his parents for a purpose. The story goes as such: My grandparents' firstborn was a girl, followed by a boy. The third was a girl, and the girls teased the boy and he felt overpowered. When my grandmother was pregnant for the forth time, my uncle (the second born) went to the hospital carrying flowers for the sibling he hoped was a boy. Unfortunately for him, the child was a girl and it's only fair to say he was crushed, but he, nonetheless, gave his newest sister the flowers.
From then on, he prayed for a boy. A few years later, my father was born and my uncle named him Samuel, "Asked of God." My grandparents, however, called him Mutabazi "savior or helper" because he had come to save his brother from the girls.
Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, I was born in a society where people take their fathers' last names. I love my name and it means a lot, both to me and in meaning: Edouard "Guardian" Samuilovich "Son of the one asked of God" Mutabazi "Savior". So, I'm a guardian savior who is the son of the one asked of God. I wouldn't call it bad.
But, I want a name that I feel represents me. Sakabaka is a raptor bird found in Rwanda. We feared it as children growing up, but we were always amazed to see it soaring in the skies above, relaxed and, seemingly, exuding  confidence. Sakabaka, folklore has it, also knows everything. You ask it whatever you want and it will give you an answer. I don't claim to have all the answers, but I have many that I haven't been asked yet. I would love to point out that, although we do have them in Rwanda, this was not picked because it is our clan or lineage totem.
There's much I still need to learn about my culture and I hope to be able to compose works in Kinyarwanda soon, or, at least, have mine translated. I would love my people to read my work. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy my work and the messages it carries.

***I have come to find out that the proper English name of sakabaka is "black kite."

No comments:

Post a Comment