Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Books


I have a fever, and the only cure for it is more...books. I have an addiction and a certain high I derive from seeing books around me. In the days when I was the sole occupier of my bed space, I would go to sleep on one side of the queen or king size mattress while the other was occupied with books. Even now I have them piled on the floor beside the bed. There are books in the living room bookshelf, on my desk, in the office bookshelf, and even on the spare bed. I can't say enough about my love for reading, and, at any given moment, I'm usually gliding through five or six books at the same time; and the range of topics nearly outnumber the books themselves.
Every week, I make my way to the neighborhood Salvation Army store to hunt for deals on the books. On Wednesdays, the books are priced half off - unfortunately, I have not been able to squeeze a trip there on this appointed of days- but when I do go, it's not unusual for me to exit the store with five or six books, some as cheap as $0.07 (in other words, 7 cents).
However, I don't just purchase from there because of the price, I do so because I'm, hopefully, helping someone less fortunate somewhere, and some of the selections are by great authors and in good condition. I have bought Kahlil Gibran's Eye of the Prophet, a 1956 copy of The Constitution of the United States, a great thesaurus, and even a book on Rwanda.
The great thing, however, is that the cashiers know me now, and one of them, a sweet, old lady, keeps asking why I can't just come on Wednesdays and get the great deals. Maybe, I might just surprise her and go there tomorrow; in the meantime, I have to find space to store the ones I already have.
~~~Keep reading, folks~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment