Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Zen Garden Experiences

I can't say I've learned all I can from my mini zen garden- nor can I say that I haven learned much- but I can say I've learned at least one thing; everything, no matter how small, is there for its own, special purpose. As I was pouring the sand in the wooden tray, I noticed that some of the ivory grains had spilled over the side and, even, on the books and desk. I contemplated just wiping and throwing them away, when it dawned on me that I should keep all parts of the garden (the littlest sand included) together for the special reason they were put together in the first place. What would it be like if I threw away every little grain that spilled on the side? In time, I would lose a significant amount of the sand.
I figured if the garden was to help me relax and meditate through action, the least I owed to it was to keep it together...to regard its every, individual member as important to my wellness. So I carefully, using one tooth of the small rake, pulled them back in with the other sand; I picked up the other ones from the books and the desk with my finger and brushed them off into the tray, too.
It's not only relaxing, but also helps focus my thoughts. As I focus on the work, my mind is deep in uninterrupted thought about something or the other, which helps clear things for me whether it be writing or otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment