Sunday, November 29, 2009

Shameless Self-Promotion

What is shameless self-promotion? What can you do to make sure it doesn't get out of line? Many in the US are aware of the balloon boy incident and the uproar when it was revealed the parents had staged the whole thing for publicity for a possible TV show. There is also the instance of the White House party crashers. Both of these illustrate what can go wrong when people are focused on promoting themselves that they disregard laws, but is it possible to promote yourself without coming off as desperate and "shameless?"
As a new author, I want people to know about my work; to read and, hopefully, love my work. There are several ways I've gone about trying to make sure people are aware of what I write; I have posted my work on Facebook, started this blog, offered my blog through amazon.com and its Kindle readers, joined the a number of writers groups on Facebook, participate on amazon.com forums, started the Exile Calling journal, and others. I am promoting myself in all of these, but am I doing it shamelessly?
In all honesty, I can admit to being shameless: I have no shame in what I do. It's my livelihood. Something that I hope will ensure regular meals and a stable abode...doesn't have to be a castle, but I don't see why it should be a cardboard box, either. I write without shame because it is through writing that I get to experience the world...it comes alive when I write and I strive to paint it through words. But, we all know that's not what they mean when they say "shameless self-promotion."
It is when one becomes more obsessed with and focused on the promotion than on what is being promoted. When you disregard etiquette rules of a group, society, or community in order to be seen or heard. This kind of self-promotion is what irks many (myself included) and leads to such legal problems as the two cases mentioned at the beginning.
What do you consider to be shameless self-promotion? Would saying "check out my funny blog or book" be shameless? What if I posted it in dozens of online forums without regard to their focus???

No comments:

Post a Comment